How are large company's able to have individuals sign away…

How are large company's able...
How are large company's able to have individuals sign away their right to trial and class action status buy insisting on arbitration. When they all do, there is no option for the consumer to do business elsewhere such as with cellphone companies.
7/21/2017
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Companies are free to set their "terms of service"...and so long as the terms of service do not violate state or federal law, they can be enforced.

I agree with you...most, if not all, cellular providers do demand arbitration. This does not leave much room for a consumer who does not want to sign such a contract. But current law allows this (there is no law that prohibits a company from demanding the consumer agree to arbitration)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doesn't that violate ones right to a trial by jury? I didn't think a company could make their own rules even if The consumer agreed.

The right to "trial by jury" applies only to criminal law cases. It would not have any impact over a commercial company.

I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news.

P. Simmons, Attorney