Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a contract 1099 employee is CA. a co worker is suing

Customer Question
for sexual harassment and her...
i am a contract 1099 employee is CA. a co worker is suing for sexual harassment and her attorney has asked to speak with me. I do have to inform the company that her attorney wants to speak with me
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i do not know
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
7/18/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed California attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you are a independent contractor, then the other party is likely not going to be involved in this situation. The only time that you would get involved the other party is if this individual is suing both you and the company. Otherwise, you don't have to inform the company that the attorney wants to speak with you. As a practical matter, you may want to advise the company that you are being sued for sexual harassment so that way they can do what they need to do protect themselves if possible. Otherwise, the law does not require that you do anything to inform them.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Sorry for misunderstanding, she is not suing me, she is suing the company we work for and her attorney wants to speak to me because I know the person being accused watched porn on company computer and walked around aroused in the workplace.
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Oh okay. Thank you for clarifying. My recommendation is yes, you would need to tell the people in charge that the attorney wants to speak with you. This will help everyone in the company get their stories straight and lead to a better settlement that will help reduce any of the cost that could easily Skyrocket in a sexual harassment case.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer