I recently sold a vehicle to someone the title was never…

Customer Question
I recently sold a vehicle...
I recently sold a vehicle to someone the title was never notarized (he said he would handle it) no bill of sale was written up. I told him he had 10 days to get the car out of my name. He has not and I haves receieved a ticket in the mail from him running a redlight with the vehicle in my name causing my insurance to rise and me liable until the car is out of my name. He has had over 2 months to do so and hasn't. Can I report the car stolen and get it back?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
7/17/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Can I report the car stolen and get it back?

.

No, it wasn't stolen, so that could get you charged with the crime of filing a false report..

.

Your recourse here is to go get a duplicate title, take it to the dealer and then have them make a key for it based on the VIN and then go find the vehicle and take it back into your possession unless he wants to go transfer it right then.

.

Then you can sue him in small claims court for any damages that he has caused you by failing to transfer it out of your name.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney