How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a boyfriend who moved in to my house in October of

This answer was rated:

I have a boyfriend who moved in to my house in October of 2012. He is now not my boyfriend anymore and I need to get him to leave my house and he refuses to leave. I had the police come but they said he is legally a resident there so I cannot kick him out.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: How can i get him out?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: pennsylvania
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He does pay rent but not by a lease of any sort.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since he has been there so long, you have to treat him like a tenant, which means you need to give him a 30 day notice in writing to leave or be evicted. If he refuses to leave in 30 days, then you would need to go to court to file a suit for eviction against him and serve him the suit and the court will order him to be evicted.
This is so even if you have no written lease and even if he pays rent, it is based on him living there so long. So, you need to file the eviction against him.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you