Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a boyfriend who moved in to my house in October of…

I have a boyfriend...

I have a boyfriend who moved in to my house in October of 2012. He is now not my boyfriend anymore and I need to get him to leave my house and he refuses to leave. I had the police come but they said he is legally a resident there so I cannot kick him out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

How can i get him out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He does pay rent but not by a lease of any sort.

7/17/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since he has been there so long, you have to treat him like a tenant, which means you need to give him a 30 day notice in writing to leave or be evicted. If he refuses to leave in 30 days, then you would need to go to court to file a suit for eviction against him and serve him the suit and the court will order him to be evicted.
This is so even if you have no written lease and even if he pays rent, it is based on him living there so long. So, you need to file the eviction against him.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney