How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by unifund for a debt they say they had a

This answer was rated:

I am being sued by unifund for a debt they say they had a judgment entered against me in 2008 for 18,488.77 now I have been served and have to go to court. They are now saying the debt is $37, 954.44 plus cost. I do not recall having this judgment against me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not by me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to go to court and pull up the court record by going to the clerk's office. If they did get a judgment back in 2008 it would be in the court records. If they obtained such a judgment in 2008 for $18,000, then over the years there would be interest and legal fees for collections that would be added into the judgment over the years that it has gone unpaid. So, before you know what is really happening you need to go to the clerk's office and get the records. You then need to consider using a local attorney to try to either vacate the judgment if you were never served a copy of the original suit or negotiate some settlement if you cannot get the judgment vacated.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you