Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question about a logo I designed. It was inspired

Hello, I have a question...
Hello, I have a question about a logo I designed. It was inspired by a trademarked logo. Does my logo infringe upon the copyright of the logo if it is inspired by it?
JA: Is the trademark federally registered?
Customer: I believe so.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: Nothing has been filed in court.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only reason why I thought about this was because I was selling t-shirts on Teespring and they recently removed my t-shirt because they thought it violated third party content, but did not provide any reason why or what the third party content was.
7/17/2017
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning.
Hello, I am wondering about a logo I designed and whether it infringes any trademark.
Here is the logo in question. I do not know if, since it is slightly inspired by the Star Wars: Last Jedi logo, it infringes upon any trademark or copyright.
I looked at your design. I don't recognize your design and see any similarity with another logo.Under the copyright law if you create a logo that is similar to another design, you may be violating the owner's copyright. If another individual or business has registered the copyright and brings a lawsuit, a judge would base his decision on "substantial similarity" and the "observer test." These are standards, used by many courts in copyright cases, determine whether an ordinary observer would overlook any minor differences between the works and regard them as the same. Using elements of the original logo that are unoriginal or not able to be copyrighted -- such as letters, numbers, names, words, typefaces, or familiar shapes like crosses, shields, and pyramids -- would not, by itself, represent a violation of copyright.That said, you would need a clearer explanation from the site as to why they believe it may be infringing on another design or logo to see if there is a copyright infringement.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Ok. Thank you! I appreciate it!
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer