How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4078
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother died 4 years ago without a will. My sister and I

This answer was rated:

My mother died 4 years ago without a will. My sister and I have asked my 86 year old stepdad to have a will drawn up. He insists on giving the house (which is paid for) to a deadbeat niece of ours and I tried to explain to him that in the state of Texas half of the house belongs to my mother's biological children (us). We do not want the home my mother worked so hard for to be left to our niece. What can we legally do to prevent this from happening after our stepdad passes?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Such as??
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If the house is community property than you have a right to it at this time. So you have two choices:

1) Wait until your step father passes away and then contest any Will he made to the extent it affects your rights to the property

2) File a Petition to Partition the property now. A Partition action force him to either buy you out or sell the property and split the proceeds with you. During the course of this action you may be able to reach a settlement agreement where he continues to reside in the house but that title is revised to properly record your interest in it.

Here are some resources that you may wish to review:

3) You may want to consult with a local probate attorney to assist you with this process. This link can help you find local counsel:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for responding. My stepdad has 3 estranged children as well. If he does not have a will drawn up then I assume his half of the property is theirs. What would we need to do in that case? Also, would our niece be able to remain in the house after he dies?

If he dies without a Will his children would be entitled to his 1/2 of the Community property. If he does do a Will the he can leave his 1/2 to whomever he wishes.

If he dies and the niece is in the house you will have to do the Partition action to force the sale to get you share of the proceeds. If he neice refuses to leave you may have to evict her.

In any case, you are probably looking at the Partition action.


Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald, Esq and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help!