Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Wrongful termination lawyer knowlegable in Charolette North…

Wrongful termination lawyer knowlegable in...
Wrongful termination lawyer knowlegable in Charolette North Carolina law.
My son was in a manager trainee position at a window washing company. He was fired without any notice of wrong doing. He did have a leaky water hose leak into an apartment because the drain was off center and he was busy cleaning and didn't notice the leak and he was late to work once and one supervisor said he asked too many questions (after the leak incident) but he really busted his but working and trying to manage the employees he had in his crew. The owners daughter was one of his supervisors that seemed to torture my son. The other supervisor was very nice around my son except when the daughter was present.
Is there anyway my son can know the real reason for being fired so abruptly?
7/17/2017
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear that your son was let go under these circumstances.

Unfortunately, I must tell you that employment in the state of North Carolina is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Since an employer doesn't need a good reason or even a true reason to fire someone, the law does not require them to reveal the true reason, either. This means that while your son can certainly ask for more information about why he was let go, he cannot legally force his employer to answer, nor can he sue for his termination unless he has evidence that he was terminated due to a legally protected trait or activity, as defined above.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
He can't receive workmanship comp because he was fired for not completing tasks and not staying focused but that is not the case . He got more done than the other managers and never had any feed back of doing well or doing poorly
LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer