Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had a domestic violence about 15yrs ago and in the last

year I have went to...
I had a domestic violence about 15yrs ago and in the last year I have went to Oakland county sheriffs Pontiac office and they have issued me a application and license to purchase a pistol on 2 seperate occosians. both times they were aware of the DMV charge and said it did not matter because it was over 10yrs old. but today I went to purchase a gun from a gun store not a private citizen and i was denied and i answered the DMV ? as yes. i am confused
7/16/2017
Michael Bradley

here is a list of prohibited actions and firearms in California

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/prohibcatmisd.pdf

sorry didn't mention is in Michigan

I am sorry I thought you meant California. Let me look for Michigan

Did they say why the refusal?

http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-in-michigan/

no they couldn't give any reason except federal law says no firearms for domestic violence but yet sheriff gave 2 different permits to purchase

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/categories-of-prohibited-people/

http://www.rip.uscourts.gov/rip/supervision/firearmpossession/FirearmPossessionProhibition.pdf

is this the application you filled out?

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

the yellow.picture is what sheriff has given me

the denial makes no sense at all

I would be on the phone with the sheriff Monday

ok
I would assume that the sheriff know all the federal laws about guns
have not just set me up for federal criminal case by allowing me to buy guns

You would think

I do not think you should be denied I think the seller was wrong but I would call Sheriff's office

ok ty
is there any time limits on dmv or does it stay on record forever
I never served any time had to go to classes that was it

It was my belief that it is on your record but could not be used this much later.

Michael Bradley
ok I will call sheriffs office thanks
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer