Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

We are not married. Have 2 children ages 15 and 11. Abusive

We are not married. Have 2 children ages 15 and 11. Abusive relationship for several years, not physical only verbal. Own a home together. Deal with alcohol/drug abuse. Depression. Want a new start and dont know where to begin. I live in fort wayne indiana. I want my house and kids.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Often times, many people get into physical and abusive relationships. If you are currently concerned with your physical safety, then I would strongly recommend getting a restraining order against your spouse. This restraining order will prevent them from coming near you or your children. If you are not immediately concerned about your safety, then you will want to start the divorce proceedings. Each state has their own specific ways of having people file for divorce in the divorce process so if you click here you can see what Indiana has set up. They also have some forms And other things that you need in order to get started. Typically, the only thing that you really need to do is file your petition for divorce in your local Court, then after that serve that petition on your spouse, and then you will likely have to fill out some Financial decorations to show that you aren't hiding any property in some other state for example, after that judge may have a hearing to help determine the issues with child custody and property, and after that they will grant the divorce. Typically, the divorce technically won't be granted t until at least 6 months after the initial petition.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I ended up calling the police. He is in jail. Will follow what they tell me to do.

Goodness. I'm sorry to hear about that situation. Please be sure that you think about getting a temporary restraining order against this individual. You can go down to your courthouse’s Civil Division and request a restraining order. The judge will likely grant the TRO mediately to begin when that individual gets released. If you have any other questions? If not, will you satisfied with my service today?