Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have been with the same woman for thirteen years,and

Customer Question

I have been with the same woman for thirteen years,and there's no commonlaw marriage in New York anymore, everything's in her name,and I paid for all utilities in our home and business,and she also left for a six month hiking trip to the Appalachian mountains. She kept telling me I get whatever I want when she gets home, told me whatever I wanted to hear; in short she manipulated the heck outta me. Now,she's expecting me to move out and leave her everything. I paid back taxes, old ejecteic bills,do I have any rights in all this? Please help
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I going to be stuck with nothing after giving her my best years?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I really hate to tell you this, but legally you are just boy/girlfriend and unless there was some type of provable agreement where she was going to reimburse you for things you paid, then you are going to run into a tough time forcing her to repay you.

.

But if you have things like emails or texts where she promises to do so, those are admissible in court if you were to sue her under a breach of contract claim..

.

However, she would have to give you a written 30 day notice to vacate, and then file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and a writ if she wanted to force you to leave. That would take about 60-75 days from the time she gave you the 30 day.

.

.

thanks