How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38184
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with the same woman for thirteen years,and

Customer Question

I have been with the same woman for thirteen years,and there's no commonlaw marriage in New York anymore, everything's in her name,and I paid for all utilities in our home and business,and she also left for a six month hiking trip to the Appalachian mountains. She kept telling me I get whatever I want when she gets home, told me whatever I wanted to hear; in short she manipulated the heck outta me. Now,she's expecting me to move out and leave her everything. I paid back taxes, old ejecteic bills,do I have any rights in all this? Please help
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I going to be stuck with nothing after giving her my best years?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.


You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

I really hate to tell you this, but legally you are just boy/girlfriend and unless there was some type of provable agreement where she was going to reimburse you for things you paid, then you are going to run into a tough time forcing her to repay you.


But if you have things like emails or texts where she promises to do so, those are admissible in court if you were to sue her under a breach of contract claim..


However, she would have to give you a written 30 day notice to vacate, and then file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and a writ if she wanted to force you to leave. That would take about 60-75 days from the time she gave you the 30 day.