Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

We were on vacation in Florida this past July 4th. We went

Customer Question
We were on vacation in...
We were on vacation in Florida this past July 4th. We went to eat at Bongos restaurant in Disney Spring Orlando on July 4th. My son Justin Diana chewed on what he thought was part of something in salad as something crunchy. however he could not swollow his food. We found two small pieces of glass upon looking on table. He had removed his onions and carrots off his plate. We were advised per Tony the general manager to call paramedics after we found the second piece of glass. So we took him to Celebrations hospital in Florida. They took xrays and gave him a medication to coat his throat. He had some abbrations inside his throat. My son felt he could not swollow what he had after drinking 3 tall glasses of water. We found more glass residuals on table and another piece of glass. They were like the size of a rice grain. However this cut my finger upon examining it myself. Can you please give me advise? My number is(###) ###-#### My name is***** Thank you!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No unsure how to file it. Where do I go for this?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
7/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm so sorry to hear this about your son. TThis to me sounds like a classic case of negligence. Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence. In your case, a reasonable restaurant owner would not have left glass in the food. By Failing to provide food that did not have glass in it, then they preach their duty of care.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Florida LRS - click here.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer