How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5268
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Over the last 18 months I have purchased 4 timeshares (2

This answer was rated:

Over the last 18 months I have purchased 4 timeshares (2 Contracts) with Hilton Grand Vacations and am now struggleing to make the $2800 a month payments. I have access to $25,000 that I could offer to HGVC to cancel my membership contract and the mortgages. Do you think it likely they would accept that or should I hire a lawyer to help me cancel?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I purchased them in Orlando, FL. The units are in Las Vegas and Italy.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Timeshare is going to be a very expensive thing and many companies try to take advantage of people with their high prices and high promises as well. One of the things that I would recommend is to get an attorney involved to help negotiate this matter. One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Florida LRS - click here.

As far as whether to going to accept that amount. That depends heavily on how many more payments you have left to provide to them. I wish I would be able to tell you for sure, but if you have a lump sum like that, then it could be a great starting point for you.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I go about attempting to negotiate directly with Hilton? Do I contact the sales dept in Fl where I purchased?

That is a great question. However, I would not recommend contacting the sales department. Their job is strictly to just sell the product and they could not really care less about what you want to do after that. After you hire an attorney, would I would recommend that they do is contact the Hilton's legal department or their dispute resolution department. These are the individuals with the authority to make these kinds of decisions. With Hilton, they would likely settle with you because they would prefer that you just pay something now and then they can focus on trying to find somebody to take over your timeshare in the meantime with the money that they have up front. Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, Thanks.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you