How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amber E. Your Own Question
Amber E.
Amber E., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1482
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in areas of Divorce, Custody, Social Security, and Contract disputes.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Amber E. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was online and I traded goods with a guy off the site and

Customer Question

I was online and I traded goods with a guy off the site and I sent his product and I never recieved mine and he stopped answering what could I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida and he's in Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 12 days ago.

Good morning,

When two parties agree to exchange goods and one fails or refuses to comply with the terms of that agreement, the one who fails to comply can be sued for breach of contract, penalties may range from compliance to damages, fines and fees, or all of the above.

Defendants generally have to be sued in their home state and county, however, which can make filing inconvenient, but the court can award costs associated with the expense as reimbursement. These kinds of suits can of course be filed with the assistance of an attorney, but they can also be filed without an attorney in many cases by contacting the court where the suit would be filed for appropriate forms, and depending upon the monetary value of the items the claim may be filed in small claims court.

In addition, the perpetrator of such online fraud can be reported to the local police and the FBI, which you can find more information about HERE. This is important, because there are both state and federal laws which he may have violated.

And lastly, if the agreement occurred on a particular forum, such as amazon or ebay, the fraudsters should be reported directly to them. This is because they can conduct their own investigation, which may provide information that could support both the civil suit and law enforcement (see above), and they can levy other punishments, such as fines and bans.

I hope this information helps, feel free to follow up with any additional questions you may have. And please remember to enter your rating so that we can improve the service we provide. Thank you.