How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4189
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father, who I was made estranged from, passed away last

Customer Question

Hello, my father, who I was made estranged from, passed away last year with a large estate. I have just seen his will. He had 5 children, and left us all 10 dollars each and the remainder to his wife, who I am sure coerced his decision making process. If I contest the will, what are my chances of reversing this action if my name is ***** *****
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My name is***** Lea and the will list me as Michalle O Fletcher Lea Texas - Galveston County
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The will was filed and a public hearing was held. I was never notified
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: His widow is the executor. They had 1 son together. My father disowned the son, but the will lists him as 1/3 of the beneficiaries should he wife predecease him mor die at the same time...the other 3 children get to split the estate. My father would have never put this in the will as I stated, he disowned that son many many years ago. It was the only child he and his widow share
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just paid $36. I;m sorry, as I am a single mom with limited funds
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't afford another $59.00 at the moment.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 3 months ago.

I am working on your answer now. The charge is a flat fee.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Please ignore the phone call requests, they are generated by the system (not me).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oh good, thanks so much!
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 3 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The mis-spelling of your name alone is insufficient grounds. But it is an indication that he may not have prepared the Will. Also if you can show that he was coerced, or that he was not competent you may be able to challenge the Will. If the Will is successfully challenged then you may be eligible to receive an inheritance through "intestate succession."

This means that you could receive a share of 1/2 of his community property and a share of his separate property.

You may as well contest the Will because you have nothing to lose. You may be able to force a settlement.

Please contact a Texas probate attrney to discuss your rights in this situation. Most attorneys will review the situation at little or no cost to you. If you and your siblings pool together you may be able to get some relief.

This link can help you find a probate attorney:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,