Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can the police hold me liable if a minor buys a gun in my

Customer Question
vehicle which i had no...
Can the police hold me liable if a minor buys a gun in my vehicle which i had no knowledge he was getting till he got back in my vehicle
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Texas and 2012
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I think so I'm not sure
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Are you saying that you drove a minor somewhere so that he could purchase an illegal weapon, without realizing it?

Yes, you could be criminally liable since you were a participant in the crime, and whether or not you knew what you'd done for the minor could be a question of fact for a jury to determine for itself after the close of all the evidence.

we were driving around and parked at a park and he got out and came back with it and later killed himself with the weapon

How much later did he kill himself? Have you been charged with anything or have you been sued?

The same night of getting it and no but the sherif office wants to talk to me as a possible witness

You have no obligation to talk to the sheriff. If you don't he won't be happy, but because you have the right to remain silent under the 5th Amendment to the Constitution, there's nothing he can do about it. If you do talk to the sheriff and submit to interrogation, then anything you said can potentially be used against you.

I don't know why they have waited 5 years to open this can of worms and what the sheriff is looking to learn or the outcome he's hoping for as to you. I would not agree to talk to the sheriff unless you do so with a criminal lawyer to protect your rights.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney