Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Small club. Member A proposes full replacement set of

Customer Question

Small club. Member A proposes full replacement set of bylaws. (He is the author of both the old and the new set.) Member B writes an article for the newsletter advocating using the amendment process already in place (but never used) rather than repeal-and-replace. Editor C publishes an article by A -in the same issue- attacking B and saying her statements are "patently false" even though they are backed up by publicly available club records.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Californa. Member B has asked for an apology and retraction plus removal of the online edition article calling her a liar in print. So far the editor has refrained from making any change and has said she can't edit member A's word without his permission.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Member A attacked B in print. B is a professional editor with a clean reputation for integrity, care, and accuracy. B's attack on her credibility is posted online where any prospective client can find it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: B wants the editor, C, to remediate somehow whether A agrees or ot. B is the injured party, and C is apparently protecting A. Question: is there a libel case here? B does not want to make trouble for the club but does want the offense to be understood and taken seriously. --End.--
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 12 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

So in this case, I lied about B...that is, A made a statement of fact about B that was false? Is that correct?