Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My ex is supposed to transfer ownership of the car to her

Customer Question
name. It is in...
my ex is supposed to transfer ownership of the car to her name. It is in the divorce agreement that becomes final August 1. She is refusing to refinance the car in her name. What are my options?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: brand new as of last year, california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet. She is 3 months behind and the car is in my name and hers as well. but I have good credit and she does not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they will repossess and ruin my credit. I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
7/13/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money. Some people just prefer the speed of a phone call and that the information not be posted on the public forum.

If your ex is refusing to comply with the decree then your remedy is to file a motion in the court where the decree was entered for the court to hold her in contempt. The decree is a court order and her failure to follow its terms makes her liable for contempt. The court has the power to modify the decree, award you damages, sanctions, attorney fees, etc.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney