Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had trafic violations in austin, tx for no insurance. 6 of

Customer Question
them for a total amount...
I had trafic violations in austin, tx for no insurance. 6 of them for a total amount of $2340. Do I have any recourse? I am now in Virginia and this state will not issue me a driver licence until I strighten out my fines with texas Department of safety
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TX
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not think so. I just knew about them trough Arlington, VA DMV
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/13/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, I am not always able to tell customers what they most want to hear and this is one of those occasions. There is not a state in the US that will grant you a driver's license with unpaid tickets and with unresolved cases in your former state. Your record follows you wherever you go in the US as it is in the national driver's data base.

You're going to have to clear up your Virginia matters. If the amount you owe is as high as it is because you have incurred late fees and penalties, in some jurisdictions, you can actually negotiate a reduction in your fines with the DMV. Otherwise, if they insist on the entire amount, you can at least set up a reasonable payment plan. But Virginia won't restore your driving privileges until the fine is paid and any other open issues are resolved.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney