Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm in Rhode Island, but my potential employer is in New

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. JA: What state are...
Hi Pearl.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Rhode Island, but my potential employer is in New York I'll be working remote
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No -- I have a job offer contract, and I'm confused about something in it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No -- I have my question all typed up :)
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/13/2017
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. How can I help you?

Hi. I got a job offer from an IT company, and I'm a little confused about something in the contract. The contract includes an Assignment of Inventions that says "I agree that all right, title, and interest in and to any and all copyrightable material, notes, records...developed or reduced to practice by me, solely or in collaboration with others, during the period of time I am in the employ of the Company (including during my off-duty hours) or with the use of Company equipment...are the sole property of the Company," but then in the Exception to Assignments section says "I understand that the provisions of this Agreement requiring assignment of Inventions to the Company do not apply to any Invention that I have developed entirely on my own time without using the Company's equipment..." So, what I'm trying to figure out is, if I'm making some side projects with my husband (not an employee of the Company), would my husband and I own all rights to the projects? I would only work on them at night or on the weekend with my own computer, so I believe that they'd fall under the exceptions clause. Also, they give me the option to make a List of Prior Inventions and Original Works of Authorship, so if I include the side projects we're already working on there, does that take away any rights of ownership to the Company?

Thank you. As this is an intellectual property question, I will opt out in favor of other attorneys with more knowledge in that particular area. Someone else should be with you shortly. In the mean time there is no need to respond to this message as doing so will take your question off the active question list and send it back to me. My apologies for any inconvenience.

Patrick

Tina, Lawyer