How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30369
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for someone to disclose personal health info/ My

Customer Question

Is it legal for someone to disclose personal health info/ My relative disclosed in a court document that my son was treated for drug addiction. She provided copies of his FMLA document for his job, cancelled checks for treatment, and personal letters the family wrote to him.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes a court order in his brother's divorce. She doesn't want the children to be around him. PS he is no longer addicted to the pain pills.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Medical privacy laws unfortunately only apply to insurance companies and medical providers. There are no laws that prevent a general citizen from sharing information they have received from someone, even if in a private conversation. In court, it is very common to use medical information, especially related to child custody cases. Those records are admissible, and the judge can order doctors or insurance companies to provide documentation.

Your son can file a Motion with the court, asking the judge to seal any medical information from being part of the public record. That will stop anyone who doesn't have need to know from seeing it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?