Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Is it legal or appropriate to send private personnel

Customer Question

Is it legal or appropriate to send private personnel information electronically, through gmail?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: To whom?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, when a employee request their personnel file, is their a timeline the orgainzation must provide?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There are no specific laws that prevent transmitting employment information through email. Email is generally considered to be fairly secure, and most employers take steps to make employee email more secure than private accounts. What is appropriate depends on the company policy, but email is generally considered to be acceptable for business communucations.

A personnel file belongs to the company. There's no laws requiring them to share it with the employee outside of a court case or stating when it must be provided.

If you're considering legal action against the company, a local attorney can subpoena your file and they'll have 30 days to provide it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?