RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I'm would like to get out of my lease. but I don't want it

Customer Question

I'm would like to get out of my lease. but I don't want it to affect my credit report.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Washington STATE
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO I just moved in july 12. but the apartment was very rundown and mold. and rust in areas.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: disappointed that they lied about the updated appliances
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Terminating your lease early does not in itself affect your credit report. What could affect your credit is if the landlord sues you for breaking your lease and gets a civil judgment for damages against you.

These marks on your credit are not generally reported to credit bureaus directly. Instead, civil judgments are documented in publicly available court records, which credit bureaus may review and include on your credit report.

However, if you were able to reach an agreement with the landlord to be able to terminate your lease and avoid litigation, for example, then there would be no issue with anything going on your credit.