Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I found out today from my tenant who rents my second home

Customer Question

I found out today from my tenant who rents my second home had allowed a lady to move in for a few months, which he was not allowed to do per the lease, and she committed suicide 4 days ago. The coroner came and took her body. He said there was tape and was not clear why he let the cousin of the deceased break it nor did he tell me until today. Do i contact my insurance agent to find out if the cleanup is handled under my insurance? Her body was in the room for at least 6 days and was decomposing. The tenant called me tonight and says the relative that came a few days ago cleaned out some of her things but tonight he came home to find the matteress she died on lying on the curb with her many of her belongings assuming city would pick up. Should I assume this is all my responsibility and start action tomorrow? ***** *****
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about this.

Yes, you should immediately contact your insurance company. You would be further directed on what actions to take. In any event, the place needs to be properly cleaned. You can charge the Tenant for the cost of the cleaning.

You should also contact your City's health department regarding this matter. The mattress should not have been left on the curb for the City to pick it up.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks. For the $47 fee I paid can I contact you again with any questions? One question is there any way there would be any liability on my part as the homeowner I. E. Mattress put out on street, tape on room where she died was broken by the deceased cousin .

Ok thanks. For the $47 fee I paid can I contact you again with any questions?

Response 1: You are allowed to ask follow-up questions relating to your initial post at no additional cost.

One question is there any way there would be any liability on my part as the homeowner I. E. Mattress put out on street, tape on room where she died was broken by the deceased cousin .

Response 2: No.

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.