P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Can you sue a company that cheats in their online game

Customer Question

Can you sue a company that cheats in their online game basically forcing you to purchase items that get you through next level?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in Montana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The company is Microsoft
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry to bear bad news.

What you are describing is not something that would be a viable lawsuit.

I am familiar with what you are describing...many "freemium" games use this tactic...they make it so you have to pay real money to advance.

But this tactic would not be a basis for a lawsuit

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue them but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.