Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I loaned a man who I know - he was actually a client of mine

Customer Question
hi Pearl.. I loaned a...
hi Pearl.. I loaned a man who I know - he was actually a client of mine a year before he asked me to loan him money- I am a Realtor and I helped him sell his house but anyway I loaned him $5,000 to help him get his son out of jail.. He signed a contract that I drafted and it states the he would pay me back by December 15th 2016 and if he didn't not only would he then pay me $5,500 but he also agreed and it states in the agreement that he signed that I could put a lien on his house if he didn't pay me back.. well since then he has changed his phone number and not responded to my emails.. basically he is mia and has no plan to ever pay me back .. I am sick of this and I want to sue him for the money and if he can't pay then I definitely want to put a lien on his house or make him pay me back! What can I do?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: no this has nothing to do with real estate.. i was just giving u a back story that is how I know him we closed on the house a year prior..this was just me helping him out as a "friend"
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no i haven't done anything about it because I guess I was waiting on him to pay me back b/c i am shocked that he has done this it is very unlike him, he is a nice person but I guess I was wrong I thought he had the money to pay me back b/c we sold his house for $850,000 he said he had it he just needed to get it and could;t at the time b/c his money is in Kansas where he lives and this was all done in Southern California.. Los aneles
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well this is weird but he also came over to our house and saw that we needed to get our couch cushion upholstered b/c it was torn and he is a stager in Kansas so he assured us that he had a lady who would get it done so we gave him our cushion and he has taken off with that too.. i mean that is a small stupid detail but I want the $5,000 he owes me and my couch cushion back! thank you for your help
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
7/12/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Hi, yes i would love some legal advice on how to handle this. Thank yoU! I am sorry I had to step out and go to a meeting but I would love your help. Thank you.***@******.*** or(###) ###-####
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.
should I hire a civil court lawyer?
or should I hire a small claims court lawyer? who do I need to get to help me with this?
A civil lawyer with small claims expertise. You can also avoid the lawyer fees and file in small claims court on your own!
Good luck
Kindly rate me five stars.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney