Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Can you legally switch out debt's between 2 people getting a

Customer Question

Can you legally switch out debt's between 2 people getting a divorce? I have 40G in bills I've accumulated during our marriage and the house is in his name. Anyway I can take over the house and he take over my bills?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I did file for divorce on June 1st
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that would be all
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 15 days ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is you can allocate who is responsible for the debt, but this private agreement does not bind the creditor in that case. Thus, if you and your spouse agree that you would take over the house and he would take over the bills, then that is an agreement that is available to you. Keep in mind that if he doesn't pay, the creditors can come after you. Regardless, if they do come after you, you can then file a contempt of court action against your spouse for breaching your agreement.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?