Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Attorney has filed Petition to Withdraw from Representation…

Customer Question
Attorney has filed Petition...

Attorney has filed Petition to Withdraw from Representation from a filed Lawsuit. This is pending Court approval, which may take up to 3 weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Attorney is also working on State Farm claim. I want him to stop all work

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes Petition to Withdraw filed on July 7, 2017 with Eagle County Court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Per Judge's assistant, Judge will not grant approval for at least 14 days and most likely longer. We want current attorney to stop all work on our behalf including work on State Farm claim, which is not related to the lawsuit. Can we engage another attorney during the minimum 14-day time frame for the Court to grant approval for withdrawal?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
7/10/2017
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The reason for the delay is because the attorney is attempting to withdraw by way of motion. Generally this is only done if the client refuses to allow the attorney to withdraw. There is another option, though. According to C.R.C.P. 121 Section 1-1(2), "An attorney may withdraw from a case, without leave of court where the withdrawing attorney has complied with all outstanding orders of the court and either files a notice of withdrawal where there is active co-counsel for the party represented by the withdrawing attorney, or files a substitution of counsel, signed by both the withdrawing and replacement attorney, containing the information required for an Entry of Appearance under subsection 1 of this Practice Standard as to the replacement attorney."

So, what you would typically need to do is get your former attorney and new attorney to sign a substitution of counsel form and file it with the court. That should have the effect of immediately switching the attorney of record. Generally, a substitution of counsel will look something like this.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer