If the federal court grants a party's motion to dismiss with…

If the federal court grants...
If the federal court grants a party's motion to dismiss with leave to amend, and the amended pleading contains the same or new deficiencies, can the party file a second motion to dismiss?
7/8/2017
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Ok so I am gathering that this is a motion to dismiss under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(6) for failure to allege a cause of action upon which relief can be granted. The simple answer to your question is yes if the amended complaint still fails to meet the hurdle of alleging facts that if assuming they were true would result in a judgment then yes the complaint could still be dismissed upon a second motion to dismiss. If this is the case in your situation I would certainly file such a motion.

The general rule is that the defendant must show that the plaintiff did not plead “enough facts to state a claim to relief that is plausible” on the face of the complaint.

If you have any other questions please let me know otherwise just accept my answer and enter a rating. I would love 5 stars. Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer