Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I an trying to ascertain if pro bono representation received…

Good evening. I...

Good evening. I an trying to ascertain if pro bono representation received by a former spouse could be considered as income or in-kind benefits for the purpose of calculating child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this juncture

7/6/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
to be clear the question is whether the fair market value of free legal services can be added to the recipient's income?
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
No, my ex-spouse Is receiving pro bono representation from a prominent attorney in Colorado who bills at $450/hr. To date, she has received over $200K in free representation. Is there case law supporting her in-kind benefits may be calculated/included in child support calculations?
excuse me, he bills at $495/hr. Partner at Sherman & Howard
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
I am sorry but I could not find case law that addressed this exact issue. Only appellate cases are published so unless a case was appealed it would not be published and only a small percentage of cases are appealed and reach a judgment. Furthermore pro bono is not common in family law, particularly in such high dollar amounts. However the court may deviate from the statutory guideline and take into consideration the fact that one party did not have any legal expenses, thus giving them more net disposable income, and that equity would require that parent to make a larger percentage contribution based on that fact.
Ok, will I be receiving a call? I did remit payment
I am sorry, I do not participate in that service and I am an individual contributor so I don't have access to your account. If a call was requested the request will be put in the phone call queue and you should be receiving a call. If you do not please contact customer service and they can reach out to that lawyer or review your account with you.
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer