Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

In CA is there a time limit to sue the selling broker for

in CA is there a time limit to sue the selling broker for non disclosure of a material fact?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Californina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet but its regarding a transaction form 2005
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

There is a two year statute of limitations in CA for such claims, which starts running upon possession, not discovery.

So, if this was regarding a transaction from 12 yrs ago, or so, the claim is time barred.

If you are the prospective claimant, I am sorry, I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I sold an office building to an attorney 12 years ago who is now trying to selling it and include square footage from a mezzanine which was not permitted. He is wrongfully accusing me as his buyer's broker of not disclosing the material fact that the build out was not permitted. Ten years ago he sued the selling broker for the same thing but I wasn't party to that filing.
Appreciate your information and the piece of mind you have given me. Thank you.
You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.