How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30365
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently married and filed for my ex wife immigration

This answer was rated:

hi so i was recently married and filed for my ex wife immigration status we are now divorced but have been separated for 2 years. i am engaged to my current girlfriend and was wondering if i should wait to get married because i will be filing for her immigration also
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: not for my current girlfriend but i did with my ex-wife
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: im only legally divorced for 1 month


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The fact that you and your ex-wife were separated for a significant period of time can help offset that you're getting remarried so soon after the divorce. The government will also consider how long you've been dating your current girlfriend, what her current status is, whether it's expiring, and how much time passes before you file for her. Waiting to get married may not benefit you if you wind up filing as her status is expiring or immediately after the wedding.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is hear on a student visa until January

It can take several months to process a spousal visa request. If her student visa expires before your application to sponsor her is approved, then she'll have to leave the country. Waiting to marry won't help with that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you