Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question about tenant law and sealing court

Customer Question
records JA: Because laws vary from...
I have a question about tenant law and sealing court records
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: there was legal action over late condo assessment fees but the payment was made in full and the case was dismissed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't think so
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

What is your question for us today?

Hi Loren,I am attempting to get the record of a civil court case in Chicago removed from my records. There was an issue with late payments of my condo association fees and rather than contact me directly the association contacted a legal team which took the case to court. I paid everything in full and the case was dismissed however it appears this is publically available and I am now attempting to rent an apartment and the information is problematic for tenant screening. I would like to know if there is anyway to remove this from my records. Thanks.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, absent a showing of extraordinary circumstances, a court will not grant your motion to seal the civil file. There is a strong policy towards openness and courts do not generally agree to seal civil files.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not wish to see you spinning your wheels.

What typically constitutes extraordinary circumstances?

Here is language from an opinion which provides an example:

"Nevertheless, there are things that might be appropriately sealed in a public proceeding, such as the pricing terms in license agreements, some other non-public financial information, trade secrets, and other proprietary technology. Information in a transcript may hint at some of these things without actually threatening any “clearly defined and serious injury.” Things that typically weigh against the necessity of sealing include that the information is old, or general, or already in the public record, and was relevant to the judicial proceeding."

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney