Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My boyfriend filmed me slappung him in my home and is now

Customer Question

My boyfriend filmed me slappung him in my home and is now threatening to send to my employer and sell it to a tv show who will sue it. Can he legally do this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hmmm...he's a gambler and owes me over $59,000 from daily fantasy sports that he used my cards for
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he took the film and was present and you did slap him, legally he has the right to do what he wants with the video, since he took it and was in your home at the time with your consent. Slapping him is actually a criminal offense of domestic violence, so if he brings it to the police you could be charged with a crime.
HOWEVER, he cannot blackmail you regarding releasing the video to damage your employment or public reputation or to demand money from you to not release it for any reason. If he is doing that, it is also a crime and he can be charged with that. So if he is trying to use it to blackmail you to not repay the money he owes, then you need to go to the police and report the blackmail, which is illegal.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.