Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is there a statute of limitations for a municipal code

Is there a statute of limitations for a municipal code enforcement fine in California? The citation is from 2003. There is no judgement against me nor a lien on my property.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: There has been no judgement nor a lien against my property.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The statute of limitations is something that applies from the time a violation allegedly occurs and the time a citation is issued. Once a citation is issued, the statute of limitations stops. If a party is issued a citation and never goes to court and never fights the matter, then the statute of limitations stops and if you did not appear in court on the citation as instructed they enter a conviction in absentia. As far as taking care of the issue, this would require you to go to court to get any fines vacated if you want to try to have it removed. But once the citation was issued, there is no statute of limitations, if there were, people would simply avoid going to court and never pay violations.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.