Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have a surveillance team that I caught by accident in my

Customer Question

I have a surveillance team that I caught by accident in my apartment is that legal
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ? illinois they are outside waiting on search warrant
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: how would I find that out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Who was caught in your apartment? Why do you believe you were placed under surveillance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was under camera surveillance inside my apartment then I found a team of 4 for sure possible 5. 4 were spotted. They are outside I think waiting on a warrant
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is this legal?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If they are law enforcement then it is only legal if there is a warrant issued for the surveillance. Otherwise, it is illegal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also saw dvr's with apartment numbers on a rack when I first moved in. I did do something illegal, but do they have the right to do this to obtain my illegal activity?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If they have a warrant they can place a camera and microphone. They do not need a warrant to watch you from outside of your home or in public places.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what about a team of guys inside your apartment? I cannot make this up. I wish I had recorded it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they had some really high tech stuff, a projector and cameras all over
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

No, that is a violation of your personal privacy and your right to quiet enjoyment. It is a criminal violation to hide surveillance equipment in your apartment. You should call the police if the landlord is doing this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok who do I hire as attorney I think they are going to use recorded materials from earlier on the warrant for the arrest. Schiller Park, IL
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you are arrested then you will want a criminal defense attorney. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?