INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I was terminated from a job they interviewed some people

Customer Question

I was terminated from a job they interviewed some people that i worked with and have some of them say I abused patients... they couldn't tell me the name of the patients or dates. They said several things that I did to patients but had no proof. I am a nurse and have worked at this hospital for 11 years all of my evaluations including the one I received in Feb. were above expectations. I got terminated in March. They sent a letter to a family telling them that I abused their family member without actual proff. They said they had written statements but would not let me see them. Then they denied my unemployment so I had no income. I started a new job but I had to start at entry level pay taking an 11$ an hour cut in pay. As a result I cannot pay my bills, I have guardianship over my grandson and I cannot afford to do anything other than feed and clothe him. Definatly financial hardship and mentally I am depressed and very anxious, I loved my job. They waited to do all this when my supervisor and medical director were out of town. Neither one knew I was going to be suspended or terminated. I feel it was a witch hunt. I went thru the stages to appeal and get my job back except for the last step. It was obvious they weren't going to reinstate my job.Do I have a case for mental anguish, financial hardship or slander?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They sent the report to the State of Michigan but there is nothing showing on my license yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is one nurse there who was threatened by my abilities and I believe she got this started she and the patients rights advocate would sit and talk all the time.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 months ago.
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please
I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.
A lawyer should reach out to negotiate a settlement using the above.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.