Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am on the verge of defaulting on my credit card debt. They

Customer Question
are currently calling my dad...
I am on the verge of defaulting on my credit card debt. They are currently calling my dad and leaving messages for me. After much research I am learning towards filing for bankruptcy because I do not have the funds to pay, even if greatly reduced. How can I stop the calls to my Dads house while I decide what to do?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in Maine but this is not a real estate question
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By the creditors?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The creditors have told me my accounts are on the verge of being writen off
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Are the callers from the credit card companies themselves, or third party debt collectors?

Credit card companies. They are offering to settle and make payment arrangements and telling me that I am no on the verge of being charged-off and sent to collection agencies.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about calls directly from the creditor, but if you file for bankruptcy then an automatic stay goes into effect and they are prohibited from taking any further collection action except through BK court.

Until then, they can attempt to collect and call. Try sending them a cease and desist letter to stop calls to your father's home.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney