How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3175
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had the girl that I was engaged to leave on the 18 the of

Customer Question

I had the girl that I was engaged to leave on the 18 the of May and moved to Louisiana with another man.we were both on the lease at our house we long do I have to hold her belongings?is she liable for half the rent ?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No,just notified our landlord,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There's alot of things but I'm not sure they are important,she's still married to another guy,has been for six years so I guess she would be my roommate?I don't really think it's important stuff,she left everything,even her dog
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 4 months ago.


Before disposing of the girl's property, you should give the girl written notice by certified mail that she has ten days to pick up the property. You should send the notice to the girl's last known address and any other addresses you know. If the girl then contacts you about the property after receiving notice, she would have 5 days to reclaim the property. I recommend that you read Handling a Tenant's Abandoned Property in Arizona for additional deatils.

With regard to the rent, you would still be liable to the landlord for the whole amount of the rent. The landlord can hold you individually responsible for all of the rent. But you hold the girl responsible for her share of the rent if you can show there was an agreement between you that you would share the rent. This can be shown by a written agreement, or if you each provided separate checks to the landlord, or if the girl regularly reimbursed you if you paid all the rent to the landlord. I recommend that you take a look at Suing a Cotenant in Arizona for Unpaid Rent.

I hope this information helps.