How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16369
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have already paid for a service, had a receipt, was

Customer Question

If I have already paid for a service, had a receipt, was over charged $1 (so technically they owe me a dollar ) and now am being double billed- what actions can I take. Previously to being double billed, Ieported the company to the better business bureau, didn't receive a reply. Emailed the company with the company of my receipts and my complaints and didn't received] a reply. Ow I receive a bill with a note stating payment needed when I am due a $1 refund? I have all the coordspondence as well. This company is so crooked
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: IL. May 27th
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing yet, but I wouldn't put it past them. They don't call back or follow up. They ignored the first complaint which was in email and I spoke to their on call line informing them of a) their bad business practice 2) the job was not completed completely and 3) the over charge and how at this point even if it's just a dollar it's the principle of ripping the customer off in all areas of service
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 month ago.

Hello there --


If this is company is in the same state as you are, my suggestion is to take the matter to small claims court and sue them for the $1.00 and then add up the amount of time you have spent trying to get this matter straightened out at a reasonable amount of say, $25.00 per hour (you will have to prepare an itemized bill of the dates and time you spent on each day and present it to the small claims court as part of your claim. For example, you write a short paragraph at the top of your itemized bill that you are charging $25.00 per hour for the time spent attempting to sort this matter out with the company, and then an entry in that invoice can say something like June 15, 2017...... Called company and was on hold for 20 minutes and then spoke with a customer service rep for for 10 time: .5 hour; total charge, $12.50"

If you keep your charges for time spent "reasonable" (a few hundred dollars, for example) you just might win this matter in small claims court against this company. If they are in state, you can take them to small claims court either in your own county or in their county but you must go to the clerk's office at your local county courthouse and ask them for the paperwork to file a small claims action against a small business. Once you have the paperwork you must go to the Illinois Secretary of State website corporations registration page and use the search engine to put in the company name. If nothing appears then they are either a partnership or a solo "doing business as" concern (such small entities are not required to file with the Secretary of State Corporations Office). If that is the case then you can use the name and address of the business that you have in the "Defendant's Information" section of the small claims paperwork and the summons will be sent to them at that address. If they are actually registered with the state as a corporation or a limited liability company (LLC) then their information will come up in a search of the Secretary of States website and in that information that appears will be the name and address of the person to serve the small claims paperwork on. That is the name and address that you use to write into the "Defendants information" portion of the small claims paperwork and the court will send the company the summons at the legal address of the company filed with the secretary of state.


I hope that helps and you can get some satisfaction from these people. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating in the star rating section above this conversation so I can be given credit for my time assisting you this evening. THANK YOU VERY MUCH MARY