Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

My husband and I are separating.. he doesn't live with me

Customer Question

hi,
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: my husband and I are separating.. he doesn't live with me anymore. last thursday he said he had filed fro divorce but i haven't been served yet. is this a normal time?is there anywhere i can check if he has filed or not?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i don't know.. i havnt filed he said he has already but I'm not sure i haven't gotten anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 3 months ago.

When someone does file for divorce, there is usually a little bit of lag time before it comes back from the court and before you are served. The other party has 30 days from the date of filing to get service on you. So there is certainly some time. If it goes a little while longer, you can ask to see if he had an attorney help him or he did himself. Lastly, if you are really curious, you can call the court to see if there is any filing listed.
It really does not matter who files the initial action, if anything, it saved you money in filing fees.