Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

I'm an accountant for my company, last year my email got

Customer Question

I'm an accountant for my company, last year my email got hacked because my employer didn't have good security. One of our vendors requested i wire a payment to them. They sent me the banking info but unbeknownst to me the email was hacked, the account number changed & i wired the money to the hackers. When we found out what happened we contacted the fbi & filed a report. My employer denied my year end bonus & denied my yearly salary increase due to this. If i have proof this is why she won't give me a raise, it's there anything i can do legally?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We filed a report with the cyber division of the FBI
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She told me in January during my review that we'd revisit the raise in june. I asked her about it this week & she replied "we can discuss it but we're still out the $10,000 you sent to the wrong place" and that i needed to figure out how to get it back
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 4 months ago.

It certainly seems like your boss is being incredibly insensitive. After reviewing your post, I do not see how it was your fault that money went to the wrong location. Since this matter has been reported to the proper authorities, I am surprised that an insurance claim was not put in with regards ***** ***** money that was lost.
I would try to sit down with her again and tried to hash out the bonus and salary review issue it would be one thing if you knowingly new what you were doing. It also was not your fault that the email server was hacked.

The reason why you probably have not heard from the FBI is that I am sure the people that did this are located halfway across the world.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The insurance won't help because she didn't have cyber theft on the policy. She thinks that I "should of known they were trying to steal money." The FBI told her that this is happening all over.
I guess your telling me that I can't do anything legally to her.
Here's the thing, during my review she told me how she appreciates my work ethic & how they are glad I'm with them. She had nothing negative on me, the year before i got a $2000 raise & $3000 bonus. I'm concerned she's going to pull the same thing again this year and then in her mind I will have paid her back.

Unfortunately, you are kind of stuck in a tough spot. Legally there is nothing that can done with regards ***** ***** and bonuses unless you have an employment contract that specifically states terms regarding salary and bonuses. I am going to guess that you do not have an employment contract because most people do not have them and are in fact at will employees.
Other than looking for new employment, a resolution has to be reached at this point. It certainly is not fair for her to keep this hanging over your head for ever, what the FBI said was absolutely correct, cyber crimes such as these are incredibly prevalent now and almost impossible to defend without having strong security measures in place. If she was my client I would tell her that there was nothing that can be done and she has to chalk it up as a learning experience.