Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have been charged with shoplifting in April 2016 and my

Customer Question
hearing is in 4 days...
I have been charged with shoplifting in April 2016 and my hearing is in 4 days. I have no record but now am being told that I need a lawyer. Is this true and if so how can I find one at such short notice?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It happened in Torrence, california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know what that means exactly. I was presented with a piece of paper that had a direction to appear at a certain court in Torrence and when I looked up the code it was for shoplifting but I was not arrested or had to post bail
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have no record and was homeless at the time.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offeredby the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Have you ever had any other criminal offense while you were an adult?

.

.

thanks

If you have a clear record otherwise, then it is very likely that the DA will offer you the "pretrial diversion" program where you plead guilty, pay court costs, are put on probation for a period of time and do some community service. If you complete everything with no problems, then they withdraw the guilty plea and dismiss the case against you.

.

You don't necessarily need an attorney as this should be offered to you by the DA. But if they don't offer it, ask them. And if they don't offer it at that time, you can just plead not guilty and request to have a Public Defender appointed to represent you.

.

Then the attorney can negotiate a resolution or get you into the pretrial diversion program if you qualify.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney