How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Minnesota. My dad gave all of us (the kids) stock

Customer Question

I live in Minnesota. My dad gave all of us (the kids) stock when we were little. My dad put my aunt's name as the custodian I am now 62 years old. To make a long story short, I had unclaimed funds from the Netherlands. The call was legit and I received a portion of my money. The other portion I was told went to my aunt. I sent them the Unified Reform Act (think that's what it's called) they don't seem to understand. I tried to say, my aunt was taken off as custodian when I became an adult and that the money is mine. I haven't checked my email again. I've been trying to get them to understand......Maybe they sent me an email........I just would love to have this resolved and get the rest of the money. Thank you
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean by filed?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've been only emailing them back and forth. So far they don't understand that act.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Before we get started on the question I just wanted to let you know that I severely injured my right arm a couple of week ago so some of my answers may be shorter than normal, but still complete, and there may be typos or other small issues. It also takes me a little longer to hunt-and-peck using just my left hand so please bear with me.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Where is the company located?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The address is: Unclaimed Funds Netherlands PO Box 37
1400 AA Bussum
the Netherlands
email: ***@******.***
tel: 31-35-6950775/+31-651-195499
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't talk right now. I may need to cut this short. I was hoping I would know how much this will cost me total. I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death.
Someone recommended an attorney. I just want to know if this is worth it. The amount of money I haven't received is $5,000.00
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Also, I am not familiar with the Unified Reform Act by that name. That is not unusual because often we use other titles for laws than what the general public does. Can you provide the citation to the law to which you are referring?

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you think I would need an attorney to get this money? I guess that's my question. Could I call you another time? Or is that an extra 59.00???
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

There are no additional charges on here than what has already been set forth. You can leave a bonus at the end but that is entirely optional and is not expected.

You may receive an email offering additional services, such as a phone call, for an additional amount but I do not take part in that program, I only work through this format. Even though there may be multiple questions back and forth the charge doesn't go up. If you ask a question that is not a followup but is instead an entirely new question for which there would be a separate charge I will let you know that and you can decide on how you want to proceed at that point.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does this sound like I need an attorney to obtain the money?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

It is an extra charge for telephone calls and I do not take part in that program. So if you made the request you would actually get a different expert for the phone call but I don't think a phone call will be necessary in this case.

Please give me just a moment to look over your link.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I do need an attorney, would that be you?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm still here for a little bit
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
still checking?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

I am familiar with the UGMA. However, that act has changed in both language and requirements over the years. Do you know if the paperwork was filled out at the time the stock was given to you which sets forth the requirement of the UGMA? Many years ago (30+) most banks and other financial institutions would just make a notation on the account without actually going through all the requirements to have the custodian specifically designated as the custodian. In those cases it may take a court order to establish that you are the sole owner of the account. Whereas if all the paperwork was filled out to meet the requirements of the act as the act was worded at that time and that paperwork is available then a court order should not be necessary.

I suspect that the easiest way to get the matter resolved is to hire an attorney on an hourly or flat fee basis to obtain a copy of the UGMA as it existed at the time of the gift then provide a copy of the act plus the paperwork showing the requirements were met to whoever is holding the funds.

While you can do this yourself, it is going to be quite complicated for a layman.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Please be patient as sending additional comments will often cause the queue to move slower and in addition I am hampered in my response time due to the injury I mentioned. I will be online unless I specifically tell you I am leaving. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the answers to post or for the communications to reach the experts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really don't know. Thanks for the information. I'll let my husband know. Good luck to you!!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

None of the experts on Just Answer are allowed to do outside for customers of the website. This ensures that you receive a complete answer, or as complete as possible, and don't get an expert who is just trying to pickup outside clients by giving partial answers. I can tell you where to look for an attorney and that would be to go to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Law and then enter your geographic area. That should give you a list of attorneys to chose from.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Even after you issue your Positive Rating you can ask followup questions at any time in the future. Issuing a positive rating locks the question open and it will no longer time out so you can come back at any time.

Related Legal Questions