Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My sister is currently receiving SSI benefits. Her home is

Customer Question

My sister is currently receiving SSI benefits. Her home is in Foreclosure, after being in default for 15 months. If my sister sells her home, and pays off the mortgage, and there is a positive sum left for her, will she lose her SSI benefits? How will that happen?
Is she able to "Pause" her payments for a number of months, until her financial circumstance causes her to be eligible once again, and then may she "Resume" her benefits?
How much will your answer cost me?
Thank you,
Carolyn Todd
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Carolyn,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your sister's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you sure that you mean SSI? SSI is a welfare payment. Or do you perhaps mean she is receiving a social security benefit such as disability (SSDI) or a perhaps a retirement benefit?

Doug