Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Do you deduct child support from someone that is working a

one time job, contract labor??? JA...
Do you deduct child support from someone that is working a one time job, contract labor???
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is the state of Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, he is working a contract labor job for me and said that he pays child support. I was curious as to whether withholding should be done or whether he is obligated to send it himself.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all.
6/16/2017
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The non-custodial parent is obligated to pay the child support themselves. It is possible for the non-custodial parent to serve you with a court order requiring you to deduct child support before you pay your worker. Those orders are far more common when someone is a full-time employee than with a contractor working a one-time job. However, you're not obligated to do withholding unless or until you get a court order.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

The question was answered fully, I am very satisfied with the answer. It was concise and clear.

I'm glad I could help. Have a good night.

You should see ratings buttons to the right of the screen. Pressing one of those will close out the question. Thank you!

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney