Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in st lucie county and my boyfriend just found out

Customer Question
good morning i live in...
good morning i live in st lucie county and my boyfriend just found out that he has a warrant for 1st degree petty theft the bond however is 40,000 the reason this raises red flag is that he has been working in his community to assist young black males to come and work for him doing car detailing he recently had an altercation with one of the st lucie officers we do believe now it has turned into a racial issue. we are both scared of the outcome due to all of the incidents that have taking place in the past with African American men i feel that if he turns himself in that something very seriously is going to happen to him i need some kind of legal advice as to what to do
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Florida St Lucie County yesterday
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes he filed a complaint to Internal affairs but they sided with the officers in the altercation sam was at a resident and the officer tried to say he was trespassing but he was there with the resident owner i also went to the st lucie police station this morning and got no where
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we also have videos of the incident.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

okay thank you
i am sorry i do not have the funds at moment trying to come up with bond money

He absolutely needs a lawyer here to see if dismissal or other resolution is possible.

Here are criminal lawyers in your area with ratings.You want one with 5 stars here to resolve this.

In the state of Florida, a person commits theft by taking or using someone else's property while having the requsite criminal intent. Specifically, Florida law states that a person commits theft when “he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:

• deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property, or
  • appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.” (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 812.014.)

In Florida, the lowest level theft offense is called "petit theft", rather than the more commonly known “petty theft.” If the property stolen is valued at less than $100, the offender commits petit theft of the second degree, which is a misdemeanor of the second degree. (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 812.014.) A sentence of imprisonment of not more than 60 days and a fine not to exceed $500 can result from conviction of a misdemeanor of the second degree in Florida. (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 77.082, 77.083.)

A lawyer here can try to resolve or get you deferred adjudication.

thank you i apppreciate you time and help

You are so welcome

here are numerous available to contest a charge of petit theft or retail theft (shoplifting) in Florida. Some common examples include the following:

1. Mistaken identity;
  2. Mistaken accusations;
  3. Poor quality video creating a factual dispute about a suspect’s identity;
  4. False accusations by loss prevention officers;
  5. Customer mistakenly leaving the store;
  6. Momentary deprivation of property;
  7. Customer forgetting about items placed in a bag or stroller;
  8. Being set up by a co-defendant;
  9. Items not found in the possession of the accused;
  10. Exiting the store for purposes other than to steal (i.e. to retrieve a wallet or purse in order to pay);
  11. Taking items for purposes other than to steal;
  12. Price tags being altered or removed by previous customers.

In cases where the allegation is that the defendant endeavored (i.e. attempted) to steal, the defense of voluntary “abandonment” may be available. This is also referred to as “withdrawal” or “renunciation.” For this type of defense to apply, the evidence must show that the accused abandoned his or her attempt to commit theft (or otherwise prevented its commission) under circumstances manifesting a complete and voluntary renunciation of his or her criminal purpose. See Fla. Stat. § 777.04(5)(a); Longval v. State, 914 So. 2d 1098, 1100 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005).

Fortunately, most counties in Florida offer “diversion” programs for a first arrest, including Pretrial Intervention (PTI).

A diversion program such as PTI is an alternative means of disposing of a case without the necessity of a plea or a trial. It is an agreement between the accused and the Office of State Attorney whereby the State agrees to dismiss the case in exchange for the accused completing certain conditions within a specified period of time. These conditions often include community service, retail theft or financial responsibility classes, restitution payments, the payment of monthly program fees, and other requirements designed to rehabilitate the accused and ensure there are no future law violations.

By resolving a case through Pretrial Intervention, the case is “diverted” away from traditional court action. A defendant can be disqualified or rejected from the diversion program if the alleged victim in the case (the store) is opposed to your participation in the program, or if you have been previously convicted of a crime or have previously enrolled in a diversion program.

See if you can do pretrial diversion here.

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.Good luck here with all .This is low level that bond sounds real excessive, maybe judge will lower it.

Ray, Lawyer