Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How do i apply for master settlement lawsuit payments? i

Customer Question

how do i apply for master settlement lawsuit payments ?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: i want to receive payments from the master settlement
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: west virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just learned of this lawsuit, and would like to be able to collect as a prior smoker
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Somewhere there has been some recent misinformation put out about the master settlement or people are just misunderstanding the agreement.
The Master Tobacco Settlement Agreement was a settlement to give funds to the states who participated in the suit. The money is for the states to use at their discretion and they use it for healthcare related expenses (such as medicaid) for tobacco related issues and for stop smoking campaigns.
In order to pursue any tobacco related claim, you must have medical history of a tobacco related illness and you would need to go to a tobacco product liability attorney to file your suit and prove your claim.
The Master Settlement Agreement is not for that purpose, it is to fund state expenses for dealing with tobacco related problems, so you cannot just "file a claim with the settlement agreement" and you need to have more than just being a prior smoker, you have to have documented tobacco related health issues in order to file your suit.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.