How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20300
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out my fiancé was raped 6 years ago at a part

Customer Question

I just found out my fiancé was raped 6 years ago at a part in high school where she was drugged and forcibly entered while unconscious. it was a brutal rape and she contracted herpes, most likely from the broken skin. The next day the perp acquired her phone number and threatened her not to tell anyone. Recently I started dating her and I am the only man large enough for her to feel comfortable telling (perp is a college fb player) There are more girls who were raped, and there are multiple witnesses and the phone threat. I know the statute of limitation for rape never ends so can we do womething with this
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south Carolina: no statute of limitation of rape
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the girls were to scared, and I thought I was just lucky and wouldn't get it from her but I did so now I want something to be done.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mans name is***** he Plays for Ball State, his mother is Dale-***** ***** holds a Ph.D at UNC
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there anything we can do?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you respond on here not email
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. As there is no criminal statute of limitations for rape/sexual assault in SC, your fiancee and anyone else who alleges they were raped can file reports with either the local police department where these acts occurred or go to the local State prosecutor's office and swear out a complaint with their investigations section. It is ultimately up to the State though to decide whether they think they have enough evidence to go forward with charges. That decision could be negatively affected by the delay in time, but is not necessarily a bar to going forward. The delay though makes it harder to prosecute these cases since there is no physical evidence that is generally obtainable.

I say this only to prepare you and your fiancee for the possibility that these individuals might not be prosecuted or found guilty. However, she definitely has a right to report the crime and see where it goes.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then the is you could let me know that I covered your question and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page for my efforts to discuss your fiance's options with you, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 16th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.

15 Jun 2017, 6:23 PM