Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

I was served a subpoena to appear as a witness in a criminal

Customer Question

I was served a subpoena to appear as a witness in a criminal case with less than 4 days notice and can't make it. Am I at risk for contempt if I don't show up?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?
Customer: Ca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The sheriff just served me the subpoena
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You are at risk here in a criminal case.I would suggest you contact the DA if they subpoenaed you or the other side and try to resolve it.But criminal subpoenas here in California can be enforced with contempt unless you resolve it.

If you don't go to court as ordered, the judge may issue a "body attachment," which is essentially an arrest warrant that lets a police officer take you into custody. You can then be held in jail until the case is returned to court. If you refuse to answer questions, the judge may also hold you in contempt and remand you into custody until you agree to testify.

Call here tomorrow and see if you can resolve this in some manner.It is serious they can sanction you for not appearing here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 4 months ago.

I would like to help. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance